Sunday, December 13, 2009

I'm So Tired!

"I'm so tired!" is a statement that we here from our students quite frequently - I have no trouble admitting that the majority of our students sleep less than I do. It is amazing the number of emails that I receive, and I know the faculty receive, from students with a time stamp that is after midnight.

This quote from the ASCD journal, Educational Leadership, entitled Sleep: The E-ZZZ Intervention highlights just how important sleep is for young adolescents and how an increase in sleep each night can have a number of positive effects on our students and children:

Sleep-deprived students tend to be more restless, irritable, and impulsive than other students. They also may be more depressed and have lower self-esteem than their classmates who sleep more. The effect can go in both directions—sleep deprivation may cause emotional disorders such as depression or anxiety, and emotional disorders may cause poor-quality
sleep.


Ensuring our children get enough sleep each night is one aspect needed to help them achieve the IB Learner Profile of Balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment