Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Being a Risk-taker

It is very easy for us to become so comfortable in what we do each day that we can shy away from opportunities to try new things. One of the great things about coming home to Australia and visiting family is that we get to try many new things, or at least things that we have done for many many years. My adventure yesterday is a perfect example of this.

My son has been wanting to go fishing for some time now, but we have not really had the opportunity to make this happen - it has also been over 30 years since I last cast a line. On Tuesday night my sister mentioned to me that the following morning she would be going fishing with her partner, so I jumped on this opportunity and asked if my son and I could go with them. She happily agreed, so at 6:30am on Wednesday morning we were putting the boat into the Elliot River. It was a magnificent day with an electric blue sky, crystal clear water, and some real quality time spent together.


We had a great time driving around in the boat and stopping at different places to try our luck with the fish. I was quite shocked and excited when I finally felt something pull on the end of my line, and when I felt the line being pulled away from me I was even more excited at the prospect of what might be on the end. After a good fight and some patience I finally landed what you see in the photo below - a 68cm barramundi!

Fishing is by no means one of my regular past-times, but this was a great opportunity to try something different and move out of my comfort zone. I hope this Christmas offers you the opportunity to be a risk-taker and try something different as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment