Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I'm Ready to Learn!

About 3 weeks ago I was working on a Prezi at home when my son, who is in 3rd grade, came into the study and asked what I was doing. I showed him what I was working on and explained to him how a Prezi differs from a Power Point presentation. He said he thought it was pretty cool and off he went to continue playing.

Today I saw him in the hall with one of his classmates taking photos of different parts of the school. He explained to me that they were taking photos to send to their pen pal in the US so he could see what our school looked like. I thought this was a great idea and was impressed by his creative thinking.

On the was home this afternoon he asked me if I would show him how to make a Prezi - he had decided that rather than do a Power Point to send to his pen pal he would do a Prezi. I was very surprised that he remembered something I had shown him only briefly a few weeks earlier - I was even more surprised that he remembered enough about it that he thought this would be a good way to share some information and photos about our school with someone on the other side of the world. We discussed what he planned to do and he asked me if you could draw arrows in Prezi - I replied that I didn't think so and that I had never really tried before.

When we got home from school we created a free account for him and then I showed him some of the basics to get him started. I then left him to play around and explore this new program. After about 10 minutes he came into the kitchen and said, "I know more than you now!" He went on to explain that he had found how to draw arrows - so I sat down as he explained to me how to do this.

This was a wonderful learning experience for us both - we both got to teach and we both got to learn. It was clear that his interest was high in learning how to use this program, therefore he was fully engaged in what we were doing and his ability to learn and apply his new skills and knowledge was outstanding.

It is amazing what people, especially children and adolescents are capable of when they are ready to learn. As educators we need to be aware of these teachable moments and be ready and willing to capitalise on them - when students are interested in what they are doing and see a practical application for it then don't need to be extrinsically motivated, they are ready and willing to learn because they want to and because they see value in what they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment