Thursday, January 14, 2010

Full Engagement and Enjoyment

As I walked down the hall towards Ms Letsche's grade 8 Design Technology room I was struck by a wonderful smell, and I as I got closer the smell got stronger. When I entered the classroom I was delighted to see her DT class busily preparing and cooking a dish that each student had researched and chosen to cook. What I witnessed was students who were fully engaged and enjoying what they were doing.

Once the meals were prepared the students had the opportunity to look at how the meals were presented before tasting them and giving feedback to each other. What a great way to engage the students and offer them the opportunity to participate in a unit that involved a wide range of interdisciplinary links that enabled the students to apply skills and knowledge from other subject areas to a real-life and authentic situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment