Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Holistic Approach

I am a lover of music - I love listening to music, watching music (both in concert and on DVD), and I love playing and performing music, so I may be a little biased in my support of the article below:

More Music Lessons

I find it interesting that in some educational systems the solution to declining standardized tests results is to cut out the Arts and PE in favor of more instructional time devoted to Math and Literacy. The justification is that more seat time in these areas will lead to better learning outcomes. Is this true?

We often hear people talk about quality vs quantity. Would better quality learning experiences produce better learning outcomes? I think there would be little argument that this is a true statement.

We should be very careful when we automatically assume that more time devoted to something will produce better outcomes, particularly when this increase in time comes at the expense of equally important subject areas like the Arts and PE.

No comments:

Post a Comment