Saturday, May 30, 2009

Does it make phone calls?

When it comes to using my cell/mobile phone I must admit that I am a bit of a Luddite. I still see my cell phone as a tool for simply making phone calls, often forgetting that I can access web applications, listen to music, watch video, take photos and record video, and a list of other things that I am probably not aware it can do. Our students however are fully aware that they have access to their world of entertainment and their friends (their social network) in their pocket at all times.

The question is, do cell phones have potential for educational purposes? According to this article, "iPhone to replace register at Japan university" the answer is yes. http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE54R1NE20090528

Using the cell phone to take attendance is not a powerful use of this technology, but it is a practical way to utilize some of the services that cell phones now offer. Having the ability to download a podcast of the lecture, or even watch a video of a class opens up a world of possibilities and opportunities for educators to take learning outside the walls of the classroom. I have also seen students access English dictionaries, calculators, and world time zones, all through their cell phones. In these instances this little device has enhanced learning and has not distracted the students in the process.

It is certainly time for me to open up my mind and start seeing the cell phone as more than just a device for making phone calls. It appears that we may have a tool with untapped educational possibilities sitting in our students' pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment